The ability to see is amazing and often we take it for granted. The miracle of vision is a wonderful gift. The simple ability to see things such as a smiling newborn baby, the beautiful scenery of the great outdoors, or watching our favorite sporting event. Our eyes are truly magical.
We have gathered some interesting facts about the eye that you may not know.
- Eyes are made up of over 2 million working parts.
- If the human eye were a digital camera it would have 576 megapixels.
- Each eye contains 107 million cells, and they are all light-sensitive!
- The human eye can differentiate about 10 million different colors.
- The human eye weighs about .25 ounces.
- The human eye is about 1 inch across and remains the same size throughout our lives.
- The eye is the fastest muscle in the human body.
- On average we blink about 15 to 20 times a minute. That about 4,200,000 times a year!
- The most common eye color is brown.
- Brown eyes are blue eyes underneath, and there is a medical laser procedure that can permanently turn your brown eyes blue.
- Humans can see more shades of green than any other color.
- The average lifespan of an eyelash is 5 months.
- Seeing is so important that it takes up more than 50% of the brain’s functionality.
- We spend 10% of our wake time with our eyes closed.
These are just some of the amazing fun facts about our eyes.