LASIK – Top Facts to Know About
Shady Grove Ophthalmology
It’s been the buzz for years now, but you haven’t really paid too close attention. You wear glasses and/or contact lenses and plain and simple you would love to rid your life of them. But, you’re just not sure. Where do you start?
First and foremost, you need to have a LASIK consultation with an ophthalmologist –not an optometrist. LASIK is eye surgery and requires a medical doctor – an ophthalmologist. Need to know the difference between the two? Read here.
We have put together some simple facts that you should be aware of before considering laser eye surgery.
- Find out if you are a LASIK candidate. LASIK is not for everyone. Ask about other possible vision correction solutions that are available for you. The advancements in laser eye correction has been fantastic and the LASIK procedure may not be the right fit for you. Another option may address your vision needs better.
- Do your homework on your ophthalmologist. Experience matters! Ask questions, educate yourself before your consultation. Exactly who is involved in doing the procedure? Where is it performed? Who cares for you after the procedure? A doctor that cares about you and vision and you feel comfortable with is the one you should use.
- Thousands of LASIK eye surgeries have been performed with excellent results. It is a proven vision correction procedure. Listen carefully when you do your consultation with the ophthalmologist. The doctor will provide you with all the information that pertains to you and your eyes. Not every case is the same he will explain what’s best for you!
- Ask questions. Be sure you understand the procedure. You are entitled and need to know exactly what occurs during the entire procedure. You don’t want any surprises.
- Ask the ophthalmologist what your expected outcome should be? There are no guarantees when it comes to any surgery. No doctor should ever guarantee 20/20 vision. However, most LASIK patients do have excellent results and achieve 20/20 vision following a LASIK procedure.
- Ask what you should expect following the LASIK procedure. Postsurgical care is also very important. What medications will be provided? How long will the healing process take? Ask how often you will see the doctor after the eye surgery? When can you return to work, go to the gym, or perform other activities?
An experienced ophthalmologist with an excellent track record is very important. Don’t be fooled by cheap laser eye correction fads or eye surgery centers that run people through like a mill offering low prices with excellent results. This is eye surgery. It should be taken seriously. Do your homework and choose an ophthalmologist who you trust and feel comfortable with.
Remember, LASIK is an excellent procedure and doctors have been performing this eye surgery for years now. Patients have had excellent results over the years and have been able to rid themselves of wearing glasses and or contact lenses. Maybe now it’s your turn?
If you are considering the LASIK procedure and would like to find out if you are a candidate and would like to meet Dr. Anthony Roberts call our office to schedule a LASIK consultation and the staff at Shady Grove Ophthalmology would be very happy to assist you.